Creamy Green Chili Soup
Creamed Green Chili Soup
This cream of green Chili Soup is simply divine. If the amount of cream frightens you then relax and read on...
I have made this Soup quite sucessfully by substituting the Cream with Evaporated Milk and then only used a bit of Cream in the garnish when serving. It remains delicious and full of chili flavor although the texture (read velvet) is somewhat compromised. It remains a winner though.
Any mild green chili can be used. My preference is either Jalapeno or Poblano Chillies.
If more heat is preferred then there are a number of options open to you.
- Use one or two Chillies unseeded
- Add one or two green Cayenne Peppers with the Jalapeno or Poblano Chillies
- Garnish the soup with finely sliced fresh hot Green Chillies
- Add a couple of drops of green Tabasco Sauce or any other green Chili Sauce or
- Add some Chili Powder to the Stock or broth
For a strictly
Green Chili Soup, Just leave out the Chicken Stock/Broth and Cream. Use a Vegetarian Stock/Broth instead. Prepare about a cup of traditional Mashed Potato and blend this into the Soup to give it a bit of texture and extra volume.
Creamed Green Chili Soup
- 20-25 fresh Green Poblano Chillies, roasted, seeded and roughly chopped
- Half tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Large Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Large Potato, peeled and diced
- 4 Cups/1 litre Chicken or Vegetable Stock/Broth
- 1 cube of finely chopped frozen Spinach (optional - provides extra color to the soup)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 Cup/250ml Double/Heavy Full Dairy Cream
- Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Garnish - Shredded Cilantro Leaves, snippered or whole Garlic Chives, finely sliced fresh red or green Chili, an extra dollop of Cream is nice too
- Roast and peel the Chillies - Skewer the Chillies on a metal fork. Hold them in a gas flame for 2-3 minutes or until the skins turn dark and start to blister. Take care not to burn the flesh. Set Aside to cool. Once they have sufficiently cooled, use food preparation gloves or a clean dish towel to rub the blistered skins off of the Chili. With a sharp paring knife slice them open length ways. Scrape out the ribs and seeds and discard them. Roughly chop the Chili
- In a medium sized saucepan, and over medium heat, melt the Butter. Add the chopped Onion and cook them, until they are soft
- Add the Garlic to the Onion and cook for a further minute stirring all the while
- Now add the prepared and roasted Chillies, diced Potato, Sugar, Salt, Pepper, Spinach and the Vegetable or Chicken Stock/Broth. Bring it all to the boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer for a further 20 minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes
- Now process the Chili mixture in a food processor until the resulting Soup is very smooth. Return it to the saucepan
- On low heat, stir in the Cream and gently heat until the Soup is heated through
- Check seasonings, pour the Soup into bowls, garnish and serve
Return from Creamed Green Chili Soup Recipe to Chili Soups Recipe Page
Return to Home Page